Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Think Different.

Today, Apple announced new software that allows the new intel-based macbooks TO RUN WINDOWS XP.

When I saw this it just blew me away. Historically, the company has been very protective of its operating system and forced all mac users to use it. And this has been the biggest single obstacle they have faced in getting new customers - it is hard to switch when all of your documents and favorite software run only on windows. And really, the main reason why I have hated apple all of my life is because of rival-type position. But now, they have eliminated this barrier in what I think is a brilliant move.

I probably won't be buying a Mac anytime soon, but on campus they are EVERYWHERE. In the business school at least, they might even outnumber normal PC notebooks. But I do admire the company for its bringing style into the computer market, and now that you can run Windows XP on them, I think they will sell A LOT more notebooks and gain a lot more market share.

Full Disclosure:

After I read this news, I promptly ran down to the computer lab after class and bought all the Apple stock I could afford (which isn't that much) because I think there is no stopping them now. Of course it wasn't cheap, up almost 10% today on this news. I only wish I would have read it earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home