Thursday, March 23, 2006

the internet: a double edged sword to productivity

I love the internet. I am thankful for all the stuff I can learn and do because it exists.

The problem with it is that I have a hard time controlling my use of it. For example, tonight I have been working on a homework assignment for about 3.5 hours. The time I have spent working on the actual assignment itself, however, is something like 30-45 minutes. The bulk of the time I spent looking at seemingly random, unrelated things on the internet. Really, any assignment I attempt nowadays that requires a computer probably takes me 1000% more time to complete because I waste so much time being distracted.

This is really inefficient, but I don't think it is necessarily bad, as I did learn some things in my surfing. I just think we need to take a perspective from total productivity instead of focusing on the productivity of individual things like one homework assignment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home