Friday, March 03, 2006

Tipping.

In America tipping plays a much bigger role in our economy than it does in others, where the amount may be much less if they even tip at all. I wonder if this may have an effect on the economic indicators of our country - when economists select baskets of goods to measure inflation and PPP, I don't think they take into account tipping. This could really be distorting the numbers because we on average pay 15% more for a lot of stuff in this country - over time, this adds up! Other countries don't necessarily have this cost of living.

Now, I would like to start out by saying that I am a fair tipper. While I don't tip excessively, I think I tip higher on average than the general population. I have worked a job before where a significant portion my income depended on tips, and there is nothing worse than when someone skimps you when you really deserve it. If you worked to deserve the tip, then I think you should be rewarded accordingly.

The problem happens when people feel like they should be tipped when they haven't really done anything to deserve it. You know the look. After you mark down that 0.00 or strike that line through the space for tip, they just give you that momentary glance as if to say "pony it up you cheap bastard!" But they haven't done anything! Just simply going through the motion of DOING YOUR JOB isn't enough to warrant a tip! At least give me a smile or be friendly or somethin! Although some employers do use tips as an excuse to underpay workers (which I think is inexcusable) that doesn't mean you can expect that extra income just because.

I used to tip everyone pretty much a flat rate, so I didn't have to think too hard about how much they really deserved. Now I realize how destructive this is. It adds to this problem of people thinking they deserve tips when they don't. I think undertipping is pretty bad, but the worst thing of all is overtipping, when you give someone more than they really deserve.

The point...
YOUR TIP IS NOT A DIVINE RIGHT - WORK FOR IT, BITCH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home